Posted October 16, 2020
ACORN members and tenants of 100 & 110 Unity Rd held a meeting with DMS Property Management to go over the demands delivered to their head office the previous week in a letter.
DMS Property Management has been ranked the largest residential property manager in Canada. They are owned by Tridel, one of the country’s biggest developers. “DMS boasts an excellent reputation built on a determination to provide innovative, high-quality service” as per their website - however, the tenants of 100 and 110 Unity Rd are being neglected and suffering in unlivable conditions. Residents of this non-profit seniors’ housing have been suffering from ongoing bedbug infestations, lack of maintenance and repairs, and harassment from building management spanning over years.
ACORN members went over the following demands:
- Effective pest treatment (block spraying units, caulking in units to seal up gaps and cracks, information provided to residents for prevention tips, bedbug mattress covers be provided, and assistance given to residents who are not physically able to prep their units)
- Maintenance and repairs be done immediately
- Schedule of the building manager made available to make it easier for tenants to seek assistance from management
- Food program set up to provide assistance for residents during COVID-19
- The demands from the previous meeting in January be immediately followed through with
ACORN member Carol Bailey says, "We must hold DMS accountable for what has to be done. If they cannot afford it, we must find a management company who can afford to keep this building safe and healthy for our vulnerable ageing population."
Don't forget to join our online action to demand city council stands up to big developers - like Tridel!